To Be Great Is To Be Misunderstood

Monday, October 09, 2006

The Eyes of a Child

This past week I flew to Bama to visit with Jason's family, which was awesome. If any of you have kids and have traveled by yourself you know how difficult it can be. But my baby girl did very well, considering the fact that she is teething. Thank goodness that we don't experience that as adults, because I truly believe that our country would fall to pieces because no one would go to work and everyone would be totally whiney all the time (oh, wait I think that pretty much is how our country is anyways-j/k).

Anyways, on the way back to PA I had a lay-over in Cincy. As I made cirlces around the terminal with Sienna in the stroller I began to find myself somewhat irritated at the people around me. Some of them would cut me off or would just kind of walk right into me. One even looked at me funny, or at least I thought it was a funny look. So, I began to realize that I just needed to find a seat and try to keep Sienna occupied. As I parked my gigantic SUV of a stroller and began to bounce Sienna, a young mom pulled up with her SUV stroller. I was glad that she had sat next to us because Sienna just adores babies, children, or anything that is shorter than the average adult. The young mom pulled out her child and sat her in front of us. Automatically I knew that there was something physically and menatally wrong with the little girl. She was very petite and some of her features were not normal for a child. But I began to talk to the mom and bent down to talk to the little girl. I looked at Sienna and her face had a smile on it as wide as the grand canyon. She was thrilled to be looking at this little girl and to have her attention. Because the little girl, whose name was Gracey, was two and very active, the mom set off on foot with Gracey to keep her moving.

As I kept Sienna entertained I would see Gracey and her mom weaving in and out of the crowd. Gracey was pulling on her mom and just couldn't get enough of what was going on around her. No one even really noticed them. It was as if they didn't exist. But after some time they made there way back over to us, and as soon as Sienna saw the little girl, her face lit up. It was so precious. As I pondered about this later, I began to realize how much I could learn from my 8 month old. She didn't see anything different about Gracey, there was no judgement on her part, she took pleasure in Gracey just like she took pleasure in any other child. I need to be more like this. Not to see the differences in people, but to take pleasure in them for who they are. So, many times I live my life and never take the time to really look at the crowd or even put a face to the crowd. No one else probably even noticed little Gracey (except maybe to see her differences), but my little Sienna noticed her and didn't see anything but happiness in her, just like Christ sees her. I pray that I have eyes of a child and faith of a child!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jason Mitchell said...

Leslie, I wish we could have gotten more time together. I am not sure when we will see y'all again.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Ames said...

Haha, that is so sweet. Henry the little boy I nanny finds great pleasure and laughter and smiles when he sees the ceiling fan and his reflection in the mirror. No other time. Interesting...

That really is sweet though and it's amazing how much babies can teach us about ourselves...and 20 years from now (hopefully a little more) when Sienna has a kid she will be blogging about how much her baby is teaching her...

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so cool. It's like there's wisdom in naivety...maybe? I wish I could stop analyzing others and see things fresh.

I like your blog, Jenny :)

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home