To Be Great Is To Be Misunderstood

Monday, June 19, 2006

A Voice


Over the past few weeks I have had a new spark of interest in the holocaust and Jewish people in general. Maybe it is because of watching an Oprah show that had Elie Wiesel on, and talked about his book, Night, or maybe because I am reading a book about parenting using Jewish traditions and teachings. This has made me pick up the book Night and reread it again. I also rented the movie the Pianist again (I almost rented Schindlers List, but I thought I could save that one for later). The shock of what these people went through was as new and cruel as it was the first time that I was introduced to these accounts. I will never know what these individuals went through. I will never understand the minds of those who inflicted a whole human race or why they did it. But I do know that it continues on today in different parts of the world (Sudan, Rwanda).
We as mankind need not to lose a voice in the fight for humanity. God created us above all other creation and yet we kill ourselves. After reading a piece of Elie Wiesel's book where he said that they were throwing cart loads of children and babies into the fire, I went to bed and had very vivid and horrible dreams about being in his footsteps. But it was current and I had my beautiful baby girl. Wiesel said that if a mother didn't let go of their baby that the SS guards would throw the mother into the flames. So, in my dream when it came time for them to take away Sienna I fought for her life, but in exchange my life was taken as well. I woke up in the middle of the night with intense fear and anxiety. I began to pray that God would take this fear away from me. As I thought through it more I began to realize that these innocent Jews couldn't wakeup from the reality they were in. As much as they prayed and shouted out to God, there was no hope insight.
I am sure many wondered where God was in the midst of all of this unspeakable pain. I wonder if I to would start to lose faith and question the God that I have so much hope and trust in now. It made me think what were others around the world doing when they heard that such a thing was happening. Did they doubt it, did they think that others would do something about it, did they have more interest in their own lives, or did they just not care. This has and is still going on in some since around our world today. What are we doing to help? Do we doubt it, think others will do something about, do we care more about our own lives,or do we just not care. We have to let our voices be heard that cruelty against humanity is wrong and against all that God is for. Whether it be killing of innocent people, racism, hatred towards homosexuals, turning your back on the homeless and widows, or not standing up for what is right and good. We have a calling to protect all humanity. What are we going to do about it?

8 Comments:

Blogger Ames said...

Wow Jenny....I love this post. I have always been extremely fascinated with WW2 and most especially the Jews who survived the holocaust, concentration camp survivors, etc etc. I had no idea the Pianist was about that....I want to rent it now. Gosh hearing about that stuff just totally breaks my heart, and I've often wondered what could I do with my love and fascination with this time period? But you're right, this stuff still goes on today with other countrys/religions. I mean look at Iraq! Sheesh. One thing we can do for sure is pray for these people. SOme of them have never even heard of the hope that we have in Christ. How terrible to be torchered in real life, and now even know of eternal life in Christ and spend the other half of their life in hell! Terrible!

I am dying to read Night. Matt has me set on rules for reading because I read like 500 books at the same time, he wont let me pick up another until I finish the book I am reading now.

Anyways.....I loved this post. So near and dear to my heart.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Jason Mitchell said...

Ames, I was just on some great web sites talking about the holocaust. Just google it and it will bring up some very interesting sites. Have you ever been to the museum in D.C.? I would love to go. Did you see that piece on Oprah about Elie Wiesel? They went back to Auswhitz (sp?). There was a museum set up there and it had thousands of suitcases, shoes, hair (they would shave each person from head to toe so they could use their hair for stuff), baby clothes. It was very overwhelming to see all of those things and to realize that each item represented someones life.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Ames said...

i didn't see the that oprah although i really wanted to. i forgot to tape it and we don't have tivo sooo...

not that you moms would have lots of spare time but if you ever do, you should rent the series "war and rememberance"...it stars ...oh i forgot her name....dr.quinn medicine woman is the star. it's about her and her son who are jews and get captured...it's like a 10 or so tape series..mom rented it once when we were snowed in while living in virginia. so good, we just sat and cried for days and days while watching it.

what is it about the holocaust and jews that make us so obsessed??

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jenjen,

beautifully written. i appreciate your heart from those who are suffering injustice! i think we do need to be move involved in speaking for those who do not have a voice. your blog really challenged me this morning, so thanks

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jen,jen- i love seeing your heart in your blogs. i feel more connected to you by knowing what your thoughts are. thanks for taking the time to share.

your favorite mother in law, lainey

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenny,

It's so interesting to see that as a result of your post others came out and shared that they also had recently been reawakened to the deadly horror of the holocaust....and so have I. Just a couple of days ago my sister Kerri randomly told me that I needed to go rent Schindler's List and then I told her that only a few days prior I had rented a DVD entitled: "Auschwitz: Inside the Nazi State." I haven't watched it yet but I am anticipating it. It's the result of three years of research and details over 100 interviews with camp survivors and perpetrators. It should be very interesting because it says "it offers a unique and alarming look at the mindset of the perpetrators-killers like the Commandant of Auschwitz Rudolf Hoss, camp doctor Josef Mengele, and S.S. Commander Heinrich Himmler. To understand their minds may help us learn how to better react to what is happening around us today. A companion to this documentary is Auschwitz: A New History which I am sure is interesting as well. I will let you know what this documentary is like. Also, I have been to the holocaust museum in D.C. although it was very crowded because it had just opened. It's a very somber place...allowing lots of reflection. As you know Jon and I will be going to D.C. in about four weeks and this will defintely be a stop we make. My eighth grade year of school our entire grade did research and projects surrounding the Holocaust....I created a portfolio introducing the museum. You should visit the museum website at www.ushmm.org Thanks for sharing your heart and challenging us Jenny! Love, Karen

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karen,
You will have to let me know how the movie was. Where did you get it from? Yeah, I have gone to that website. It is filled with a lot of terrible facts. It would be interesting what the Nazi's were thinking and how it got to the point of such hatred towards certain humans. Jenny

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got the documentary from the library. I will let you know how it is. I think I might watch it tonight.

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home