To Be Great Is To Be Misunderstood

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Trusting the Wild




Some times life just doesn't make sense. I love and serve a God who is the essence of mercy and love, yet there are times that I am so confussed by Him. Last night as I was flipping through the whole ten channels on our tv, I came across a documentary on the Congo. It was filled with innocent men, women, and children that were slowing being starved. There was a family with two very small children that were being interviewed at there house (which in our society would be labled as a run down ol' shack). The husband talked about working in the diamond mines, which wasn't his choice but there are no other jobs available, and he works 12 hour days to only bring home a dollar. The wife goes to a place that our food inspectors would close down in a blink of an eye, the market. Here she buys different foods, which aren't even for her starving children, but for her to cook and take over to the mines to sell to the men there. When I saw this I thought what a strong woman she must be, because I am sure it would be tempting to take all of that food home to feed her boys. She totes one of her small boys, that has boils all over his feet, along with her. She also only earns around a dollar. Then after a long tiring day they all go home and sit down on a dirt mat for their first meal. Which consist of a green lettuce. There is no meat, fruits, or dare I say sweets.

The family discussed why it is this way, and from what I could gather it is because of politics. The leadership is corrupt and greedy. While millions are starving, they bring in over 2 billion dollars in revenue for diamonds. But the Congonease people don't see any of this. They hold elections, but really it is only an outward expression of democracy. Who the people vote for is either not elected or assasinated.

As I watched the footage I could only think of the babies and there sad eyes. They were so hungry and so small. I felt so humbled as I sat and popped whoppers into my mouth. As I went to my pantry to get the whoppers I never onced thought about those around the world that were going without. Thinking about all that I have and all the times that I have wanted more or didn't think I had enough shoes, really made me realize that I have more than I even realize. Yet, all around the world, even in our own communities, there are people who live on next to nothing.

Laying in bed that night I thought about the Congenease people and began to ask God why? Why did those babies and their families go hungry? Why did I have so much? What did He want me to do? What could I do? Many of these questions are not answered, but I know that I have a role in this world and in my community. I have the ability to pray and to use my resources as Christ ask me. But one of the most important roles is for me to trust this wild and confussing God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home